Saturday, January 18, 2014

The Golden Rule--Skin Color, Respect, Acceptance, Love and Friendship

Floyd "Red Crow" Westerman (Photo by José L Bernabé Tronchoni)






Floyd "Red Crow" Westerman was one of my heroes. He was a great Human Being, Sculptor, Artist, Singer/Songwriter, Teacher of Native American Wisdom. I had deep respect and affection for him (still do!), and I still feel the loss of his passing in December 2007 at the age of 71. He touched the lives of millions of people and gave us inspiration, hope and beauty.

On January 17, (2014) I was watching the video Red Crow says "Goodbye"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa5xwjE4T9k  


I had seen this particular video a few other times and it's always a comfort to me to hear Floyd speak, not only for the wisdom he imparted but also for the quiet quality of his beautiful voice. I really wish I could have met him in person.  

This time, while watching the video, I saw the following comment from Larry Phelps, and it had a large impact on me:

Larry Phelps' December, 2013 Comment on the above YouTube Video:
"We are spiritual beings. Imagine deciding your alliance by the color of your clothes on a given day.....the color of our skin tells us nothing of the spirit within."

I have always felt that same way, so I added my own comment below:
Thank you, Larry!   This is absolutely the best comment I've seen in a long time, and Oh, SO TRUE. Skin color relates to NOTHING ELSE, just like eye color or hair color.

So much ignorance abounds, and those who are prejudiced about skin color ROB themselves of many things. My life has been greatly enriched by making friends with people of all colors, races, creeds and religions.

Anyone who is willing to keep an open mind and heart can learn and gain much, including reaping the love and friendship of fabulous people. We don't all have to look alike or even think alike to love one another. Just treat others the way you want them to treat you and you will be greatly rewarded. It's our differences that make life interesting!

(End of my YouTube Comment).

Upon further reflection, I would like to add  that what I have personally learned by making friends with all kinds of people, from many countries, economic levels, educational levels, nationalities, races and religions is that Human Beings are pretty much the same inside, and as Larry Phelps stated above, it is so true, ".....the color of our skin tells us nothing of the spirit within." Skin Color really is just like Eye Color and/or Hair Color, (Or the color of one's clothing!), BUT.....it is NOT the Spirit, character, personality or "value" of any person, and we ALL Bleed RED!

You can put a cover on a textbook and call it fiction, or vice-versa, but when you open that book it really makes no difference how it's  marketed; only the inner content of the book is of any real value. People are much the same.


The Golden Rule is Universal:  

"Do Unto others as you would have them do unto you"


And, as stated by the Dalai Lama, "There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness.".  
I feel the same way!

The Earth is filled with interesting people. Do not limit yourself, love them all, and you will be greatly rewarded and able to expand your knowledge and understanding of many things, most of all, the real meaning of life, which is to learn to know and then love yourself first, then learn to love other people, without the pre-conceived ideas and prejudices that stunt our intellectual and spiritual growth. 


The Spirit of LOVE for all people was written on our hearts by the Creator.
Open yourself to it and your life will be better than ever! Peace and Love to Everyone!






Joyce Jeffries AKA @MsRock4Ever
https://twitter.com/MsRock4Ever

No comments: